Monday 12 October 2009


Hey everyone I have recently found myself in a sticky mess with the immigration dept. Here in Mozambique in regards to my visa. So on friday Kyle and I go to the immigration office to renew my visa and because of some confusion on my part they now say I have to pay a 16000 Mtu fee (thats about 550 US$) which is a crazy amount of money for me. So we decide to wait and talk to a guy he knows at the immigration dept but he wasn't there on friday. So on monday we go back and talk to Kyle's friend to see if we can get the amount reduced any but turns out there is nothing he could do and I had to pay the amount... Everyone thinks its cheap to live in africa which it is, unless you are white because white = money. We faced this problem in Mali as well with government officials trying to scam us for any money they can. The problem is that it is in their laws to charge this much because they know citizen who could never pay that much will not need to renew visas where as rich foreigners will... but the problem is I am not rich... ha ha! So now I'm left with little money to last me till dec. So if anyone is able to help out I would much appreciate donations to help compensate for this situation I have found myself in. It would be much appreciated and I want to thank everyone again who helped get me here and have been there for me as long as I can remember and I am sorry to have to ask for help again but I am in a pickle...
On a happier note we are starting a new program this month with the workers to learn sign language so that everyone will have the ability to communicate with Osias. Which will be a double blessing because I have not picked up on the local language here to well which is Chiyao. So by others learning sign language I will be able to help them learn by signing to them and I will be able communicate with the workers better than I have in the past. The first day we did this, Osias's sign language teacher came out and interpreted for all of us so we could ask Osias questions we had never been able to in order for everyone to get to know him better. We asked him what was hard about being deaf in this society and other things like that. He said going to the market was hard for communication reasons. He also just recently had his bike stolen from right behind him in the market and since he is deaf he could not hear someone stealing it from just a couple of feet behind him... Lifes just a little bit harder for Osias in this society which is why I love that everyone is taking the time to learn sign language which will communicate with out saying a word that he is loved. This is the reckless love I think Jesus is talks about when He says "love your neighbor" because it doesn't make since for everyone to stop working everyday just to learn sign language for one person but yet here we are! We just got through learning the alphabet and everyone spelled their name which up to now Osias has never known and that was a beautiful experience. I hope everyone is doing well state side please let me know how things are and message me with any questions you might have. You can also check out Kyle's blog he is the missionary I am working under right now at http://chajila.blogspot.com/. Thanks again for all the help and I miss everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment