Saturday 14 November 2009

Hey sorry its been awhile since the last time I posted but between there always being something that needs doing and the weather enabling the internet. But life has been good here I have been working on some new projects on top of working off and on down at the farm lands. One project I helped with was with water sanitation. A scientist named Martin with a PHD in water and sanitation came here for a little over two weeks to do some water testing as well as test out some different water sanitation technologies. So I shadowed him and learned everything that wasn't over my head ha ha but almost all of it I understood because of my engineering classes I took in school. He had a wealth of knowledge that I hope to be able to apply in Mali but we shall see. The other project I'm working on is with what is called a rocket stove which is just a really efficient wood burning stove. but I'm designing one different from all the ones i've researched about. I found one in a book that is a cooking stove as well as heats a 10 ft bench but it cost a 100$ the way they built it so I'm building one that cost essentially nothing but it is labor intensive... I am using slave labor (aka me) dirt, sun-dried brick made of the same dirt, saw dust, straw and one little piece of sheet metal. It should cook a meal while the exhaust from the stove runs through a bench warming it in the winter and rainy season. so as far as I know no one has ever built one the way I am as well as out of the material I am so thats kind of exciting. I will get pics up as soon as I can but i can't find my camera cord... well I hope all is well state side I will be home in a little over a month which is crazy but exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment